Thank you for submitting to Gordon Square Review!
We are pleased to pay a modest honorarium for accepted work ($25 per accepted prose piece and $10 per accepted poem). Please note that all submissions must be previously unpublished in any print or online venues, including personal blogs. Simultaneous submissions are welcome and encouraged, but we ask that you withdraw your work immediately if it is accepted at another journal. Visual artists may query via email to learn about submitting art for our consideration.
While our response times may vary, we aim to reply to submissions within 4-12 weeks. Please only submit one piece at a time and wait for our response before sending additional work.
Final Judge: Philip Metres
Gordon Square Review is pleased to announce a 2019 Poetry Contest for Northeast Ohio writers. Submit up to three poems of any length with an $8 entry fee. The winner will receive $250, publication in Issue 4 of Gordon Square Review, an invitation to read at the Issue 4 launch party, and a voucher for a free Literary Cleveland class or workshop. One runner-up will also be selected for publication and invited to read at the Issue 4 launch party. The contest deadline is March 22, 2019.
· To be eligible, writers must reside in Northeast Ohio—that includes the Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Youngstown, Kent, and Lorain areas—or must have a strong previous tie Northeast Ohio. Please note your location (or an explanation of your connection to Northeast Ohio—that you lived or studied here previously, etc.) in your cover letter.
· Contest entries will be read blind. Please do not include your name or any identifying information anywhere on the document or in the document file name. (It is acceptable to include your name/personal information in your cover letter.)
· The fee for each entry is $8. All entries will be also considered for publication.
· Contest entries must be previously unpublished in either print or online venues, including personal blogs.
· Entries may consist of up to three poems of any length submitted within a single document. Prose poetry and hybrid work is welcome. Writers may submit more than one entry, but a separate fee is required for each entry.
· Writers are welcome to make a separate general submission in addition to a contest entry. There is no need to submit the same writing to both the contest and the general submission pool, as all contest entries will be considered for publication. The editors will individually notify any contest entrants selected for general publication.
· Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but we ask that you withdraw your work immediately through Submittable if it is accepted elsewhere. Entry fees will not be refunded in the event of a withdrawal.
· All entries must be submitted via Submittable. Print or emailed entries will not be accepted. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
· The winner will receive $250, publication in Gordon Square Review, promotion through Literary Cleveland’s channels, and a voucher for one Literary Cleveland class or workshop. Vouchers are non-transferrable and must be used within one year.
· Gordon Square Review editors will read submissions blind and select finalists to send to the judge, Philip Metres, who will decide the winner and runner-up. Writers with a close personal or professional relationship with the judge (such as current or past students) are not eligible.
· The contest deadline is March 22, 2019. Results will be announced in May 2019.
Thank you for submitting your work to Gordon Square Review!
We consider short stories, personal essays, and hybrid prose works. While we don’t shy away from blurred genre lines, please note that our focus and aesthetic is literary. We are unable to consider reviews, interviews, academic work, dramatic scripts, or writing for children.
Please submit one piece of prose up to 5,000 words OR up to three flash pieces of 1,000 words or fewer (attached in a single document). We appreciate standard manuscript formatting: double spaced, one-inch margins, and a serif font like Times New Roman.
Thank you for submitting.
Please limit your submission to three poems attached in a single document. If one of your poems is accepted elsewhere, please use your Submittable account to add a note to your submission indicating which title(s) should be removed from our consideration.
Thank you for submitting.